Preparing for your newborn session
1. Once you've contacted me about photographing your newborn, for convenience I always set up the date of your due date as your session date. When your baby arrives, please contact me within 3 days to set up the actual session date and time. Babies are best photographed within the first 5-12 days after being born as they are still very sleepy, can be easily posed, baby acne hasn't appeared yet and signs of jaundice have faded as well. Therefore it is important to contact me as soon as possible to book your session.
2. After scheduling your session we can talk about your expectations, whether you want just family shots with the baby, perhaps only posed shots or a combinations of both. Let me know beforehand if there are certain poses you want me to try with your baby or special props that you will be bringing from home. Any props that have meaning to you will make those photos just a little bit more special.
3. My newborn session typically takes up to 4 hours. Because of this I typically schedule newborn sessions in the morning around 10am-11am, or early afternoon. Babies also tend to be sleepier at this time of the day. I'm not shooting the entire 3-4hours. Much of this time is spent switching blankets and props, getting the baby fed or nappy changes, cleaning up and soothing the baby. A fussy or wide awake baby who is unwilling to fall into a deep sleep can also affect the length of the shoot.
4. I shoot newborn session in my studio at 6 Old Port Square, Chester, CH1 4JP
5. When photographed, babies are behaving best on a nice full tummy, so please feed your baby before arriving to the session.
6. I photograph babies without any clothes on, sometimes with diaper, but otherwise completely naked. Clothes take away from showing how tiny and different newborns are within their first few days of life and also makes it more difficult to capture tiny details such as hands and feet.
7. If Mom, Dad and any siblings are going to be in any shots I suggest wearing simple, light and comfortable clothing for the shots.
After your session
I will upload the images to my computer, then pre-select a wide variety of images. From these you can choose your pictures for editing by viewing the online gallery I create for you.
The online gallery will include between 20-100 unedited images depending on the session.
After your choice of final images they will be carefully edited within 3-5 weeks time.
The editing will start after full payment is received.
Following the editing your orders are sent to the printing company, and I will let you know when they are ready for collection.
I offer the sale of prints, canvas, albums and much more. All prints and products purchased through me are printed at a high-quality professional lab. However I will also provide you with a printing release for digital images, so that you may get your photos printed at a lab of your choice. You will need this when getting your images printed.
Frequently asked questions
What should we bring with us for our newborn session?
Lots of diapers... If you will be formula feeding, also bring lots of extra formula. If you are nursing, be prepared to nurse a few times while you are there. I keep the room very warm for the newborns so please dress accordingly, I advise layered clothing.
Do we need to bring props?
I've got tons of stuff at my studio including hats, headbands, backdrops, baskets, buckets, you name it. Still, feel free to bring special things that you've bought or family items you want included.
Can we do portraits of the new baby and it's older sibling?
Absolutely. I can't guarantee it for very young siblings though. I promise I will try my hardest and I have lots of tricks and different ways to make it happen but I'm sure you know how unpredictable two year olds are. If they want nothing to do with the new baby, sometimes it just isn't possible without tears. From the sibling, and rarely the parent. Something I can suggest is to have a plan for the sibling, maybe to be dropped off and picked up for that part of the session.
When do we pay?
I take payment in full on the day of the session.
What type of payment do you accept?
PayPal, bank transfer or cash, whichever is more convenient for you.